V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the period of insurance for the National Insurance Scheme?
From: 4.00pm 30 June 2022 to:4.00pm 30 June 2023
Both Local Standard Time at the Insured’s head office

What insurance policies are insured under the National Insurance Program?
Public and Products Liability, Professional Liability, Personal Accident (Sports Injury), Management Liability insurance (Directors & Officers Liability), and Group Travel insurance.

Who is insured under the National Insurance Program?
This program covers all registered members and all officials of Paddle Australia, (including its affiliated state associations and clubs), committee members, employees including contractors and voluntary workers, and declared race directors and event promoters (for liability insurance only).

How do I get this insurance cover?
Coverage is provided automatically as part of your Paddle Australia membership. For membership enquiries please contact your State Paddle Association or local club. Alternatively, you are covered if you volunteer for Paddle Australia (including its affiliated state associations and clubs), or a declared race director or event promoter. If you are operating as an instructor, guide or coach, you are only covered in this capacity in the vent that you have taken out an IGC Membership with Paddle Australia.

Is Building or Property Insurance (i.e. fire and theft) provided under the National Insurance Program?
No, your premises and its contents, as well as your canoes or kayaks are not covered under this Program for any material damage or theft. If you would like a quotation for this type of insurance please contact V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660 or send us an email to [email protected]

What measures can State Associations/Clubs take in order to minimise risks and reduce potential claims?
Ensure that all participants (paddlers, guides, coaches and instructors) are registered members Paddle Australia prior to taking to the water.
Actively encourage registered guides, coaches and instructors to undertake accreditation.
Keep an injury register/record of all injuries sustained in any canoeing/kayaking related
Ensure you have up to date Bylaws in place (including a member protection, grievance and disciplinary policies) and available to members.

What is Public Liability insurance?
Public Liability insurance is designed to protect you in the event that you are sued by a third party for injuries caused to them or any damage caused to their property. Public Liability insurance will cover the cost of compensation to the third party, should you be found negligent including any associated defence costs.

What is Products Liability insurance?
Product liability insurance will cover you in the event that any goods that you supply cause injury, illness, loss or damage to a member of the public. This could include food prepared and sold at a fundraising day.

What is Professional Liability insurance?
Professional Liability insurance will cover you in the event that you are sued by a person who claims they were injured as a result of your professional negligence. This insurance mainly provides cover for registered guides, coaches or instructors who give advice when a member is training or competing in an event

What is the excess on the Public and Products Liability and Professional Liability policies?
There is a $1,000 excess for each and every occurrence for Public and Products Liability Property Damage and Professional Liability claims.

Who is responsible for paying the excess on Public and Products Liability Property Damage and Professional Liability claims?
The payment of the $1,000 excess is the responsibility of the defending party and will not be paid by Paddle Australia unless otherwise agreed.

What activities are covered under the Public and Products Liability policy?
Administration, promotion, organisation and participation in canoeing and kayaking activities including individual and official training sessions and training camps, instruction by IGC Members or as part of a Paddle Australia (including its affiliated state associations and clubs) event, the rendering of first aid, provision of food and drink, publication of newsletters, sale of merchandise, property owners or property occupiers liability, social activities including awards presentations, fundraising, BBQs and other social gatherings.

Please note that some fundraising and extreme training techniques may not be covered by the definition of “Activities Covered” in this policy e.g. bungee jumping, car rallies, bull riding rodeos, jumping castles etc. Please contact V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660 if you are unsure as to whether you require insurance cover for any other activities.

What are sanctioned activities?
Sanctioned activities are those activities that are approved by Paddle Australia or its affiliated State Associations or Clubs. Sanctioned activities include events/regattas that are organised by these groups, as well as canoe education and organised touring activities.

How can we prove that we have Public Liability Insurance?
If you are asked to provide proof of insurance by anyone (e.g. local council or a property owner) you will require a Certificate of Currency. Certificates of Currency are available from Paddle Australia by sending an email to [email protected]. Please include details of the organisation requiring a certificate, and details of all organisations that need to be noted on the certificate (Interested Parties).

Is the Association/Club covered for any fundraising events that we may have throughout the season?
Yes, Association and club fundraising activities are automatically covered under the National Insurance Scheme. These activities may include but are not restricted to trivia nights, presentation nights, membership drive sausage sizzle at the local shops etc. However, some activities such as the use of jumping castles could be excluded under the policy. Please refer to V-Insurance Group for confirmation that the activity is covered.

Are external contractors covered?
No, external contractors should carry their own public liability insurance.

What should an Association/Club/Technical Committee do before signing a Hire/Lease/Rental Agreement?
Thoroughly read any agreement before
Some councils, state waterways authorities or rescue boat hirers may ask you to sign agreement which states that they will not be held liable in the event of injury arising as a result of use for training or events.
Please note that there is a policy exclusion on your Public Liability policy if you sign an agreement which contains such “Indemnity and Hold Harmless” clauses.
Should you find any Indemnity/Hold Harmless clauses in the agreement, please refer to V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660 or [email protected] We will advise you on the correct wording to insert into the lease agreement.

What is Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance?
Personal Accident insurance is a policy that covers you in the event that you are injured whilst participating or travelling to or from training or events. The policy will pay out an income or a lump sum in the event of disability, paraplegia, quadriplegia or death, caused by an accident.

Do I need to have private health insurance if I am covered by the Personal Accident section of this program?
This is a personal decision. However, it must be remembered that the Personal Accident cover has limited benefits to keep the cost as low as possible.

What do I do if I am involved in an accident?
Advise your club official who will arrange for an incident report form to be completed. These are available on the Paddle Australia website.

Complete a Personal Accident claim form and submit to Paddle Australia at PO Box 6805, Silverwater NSW 2128. These forms are also available on the Paddle Australia website.

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660.

When should I send in a Personal Accident claim form?
A claim form should be completed, signed by your club or state association and submitted to Paddle Australia as soon as you become aware that you will be making a claim. You do not have to wait until after you have completed treatment for your injury. Please note that any treatment rendered necessary by injury must be completed within 12 calendar months from the date of such injury occurring for expenses to be covered.

Is the Medicare Gap claimable under the Personal Accident Policy?
No, the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 does not permit the Insurer to contribute to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap). This means that any charges for treatment from a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist or Surgeon’s Assistant are not covered. It also means charges for X-Ray, some MRI Scans (if Medicare registered) and Public Hospitals are not covered. In addition, there will be no refund in respect of:

What are the age limitations under the Personal Accident Cover?
2-100 years of age (limitations apply for individuals under 18 and over 75 years of age)

What is the maximum benefit period for Loss of Income and Non Medicare Medical Claims?
Non Medicare Medical Section 52 weeks.
Loss of Income 104 weeks.

Is the cost of Ambulance Transport covered under the Program?
Yes, Ambulance transport is a non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the Personal Accident section of the Program (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Can I claim on my Private Health Insurance as well as the National Insurance Scheme for personal injury claims?
You must initially claim on your Private Health Insurance and then claim on the National Insurance Scheme for any non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your Private Health Insurance.

Can I make more than one claim during the year?
Yes, you can make more than one claim during the year. It is important however, that you obtain a clearance from your treating physician prior to returning to canoeing or kayaking.