V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I join the national program?

Coverage is provided automatically as part of your Little Athletics Australia Centre/Club membership. For membership enquires please contact your Little Athletics State Association.

Is the Building or Property insurance (ie fire and theft) provided under the national program?

Yes, a Club/Centre’s premises and its contents are covered under this program for any material damage or theft for up to $75,000. Limit any one Club/Centre with option to increase cover, please contact V-Insurance Group on (02) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547, or conversely send an email to [email protected].

What insurance products are insured under the national program?

  • Public & Product Liability & Professional Indemnity
  • Personal Accident (Sports Injury)
  • Association Liability insurance for affiliated State Associations and Centres/Clubs
  • Property insurance for all State Associations and Centres/Clubs
  • Group Travel for approved athletes, managers and officials
  • Cyber Liability & Privacy Protection

What is the Policy Period?

From 4.00pm 31st August 2020 to 4.00pm 31st August 2021 (both Local Standard Time at the Insured’s head office)

What measures can State Associations/Centres or Clubs take in order to minimise risks and reduce potential claims?

  • Ensure that all participants are registered members of an Australian Little Athletics Centre/Club prior to commencing their activities.
  • Actively encourage coaches to undertake accreditation courses.
  • Keep an injury register/record of all injuries sustained in any Little Athletics related activity.
  • Ensure you have up to date Bylaws in place (including a member protection, grievance and disciplinary policies) and available to members.

Who is insured under the national program?

Little Athletics Australia and all affiliated bodies including all members, temporary / trialling members State & Territory Branches, Zones, Centres, Clubs, officials, accredited coaches, referees, executives and voluntary workers.


Are adults covered when participating in parents’ races?

No. The policy only provides cover for registered members and parents should be advised that they participate at their own risk.

Are Little Athletes who have dual registrations covered if they compete in senior competitions?

Only if the event is sanctioned by Little Athletics.

Are Senior Athletes competing in Little Athletics competitions covered?

Senior athletes are not covered under the Little Athletics Policy. However, if an injury occurs, senior athletes who are members of Athletics Australia can claim on the Athletics Australia Personal Accident policy.

Can a child under 5 be covered even though they are unable to register in our State?

The policy only provides cover for registered members that are within the age bracket approved by the State/Territory Association.

Can I claim loss of income benefits if I only work on a casual basis?

Yes, you can claim loss of income benefits if you work on a full time, part time or casual basis. The weekly accident benefit is 85% of your net weekly income up to a maximum of $1,000 per week, whichever is the lesser. Please note that your employer needs to complete the loss of income section of the claim form.

Can I claim on my private health insurance as well as the national program for personal injury claims?

You must initially claim on your private health insurance and then claim on the Little Athletics Australia Personal Accident insurance policy for any Non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your private health insurance.

Can I make more than one claim during the year?

Yes, you can make more than one claim during the year. It is important however, that you obtain a clearance from your treating physician prior to returning to Little Athletics.

Do I need to have private health insurance if I am covered by the personal accident section of this program?

This is a personal decision. However, it must be remembered that the personal accident cover is limited to keep the costs as low as possible.

Is the cost of ambulance transport covered under the program?

Yes, ambulance transport is a Non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the Personal Accident section of the program (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Is the Medicare Gap claimable under the Personal Accident Policy?

No, the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 prevents insurers from contributing to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap). This means that any charges for treatment from a doctor, surgeon, anaesthetist or surgeon’s assistant are not covered. It also means charges for X-Ray, some MRI scans (if Medicare registered) and public hospitals are not covered. In addition, there will be no refund in respect of:

  1. Any expenses recoverable by You from any other insurance scheme or plan providing medical or similar coverage or from any other source except for the excess of the amount recoverable from such other policies/plans.
  2. Any expense to which the National Health Act (Cth) 1953 or any of the regulations made there under apply.

What constitutes organised training?

Organised training is training that is approved by either Little Athletics Australia or an affiliated State Association, your Centre/Club or a coach. You must keep a record, prior to the training session commencing of any individual training that you are undertaking in case an accident occurs.

What do I do if I am involved in an accident?

  1. Advise your Centre/Club official who will arrange for an incident report form to be completed.
  2. A claim form will need to be completed and submitted as soon as possible. The declaration on the claim form needs to be signed by your Centre/Club and then forwarded to your State Association. If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact V-Insurance Group on (02) 8599 8660.

What does the Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance cover? 

The Personal Accident policy covers items such as death, disablement, non-Medicare medical expenses, loss of income, student tutorial costs, domestic home help costs and parental assistance. You are covered for injuries even if the accident was your fault.

What is Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance? 

Personal Accident insurance is a policy that covers you in the event that you are injured whilst participating or travelling to or from training or events that are sanctioned by Little Athletics Australia or their affiliated State Associations, Centres or Clubs. The policy will pay out an income or a lump sum in the event of disability, disablement or death, caused by an accident.

What is the Excess/Elimination Period under the Personal Accident Policy?

There is a $50 excess (nil if private health insurance held) in respect to making a claim for Non-Medicare medical treatment. If you are making a loss of income claim you are subject to a 7 day elimination period which also takes into account any accrued sick leave or other entitlements. This means that any loss of income during this period is not claimable.

What is the maximum benefit period for Loss of Income and Non-Medicare Medical claims?

104 weeks in respect of Loss of Income and 52 weeks in respect of Non-Medicare expenses.

When does the cover apply?

Cover applies in the following circumstances:

  • Competing in official Club/Centre, state and national events
  • Organised training or practice sessions for activities as described in (a) above.
  • Travelling directly between activities in (a) or (b) above, and your residence or place of employment.
  • Staying away from your home district during a tour for the purpose of participating in sanctioned activities
  • Engaging in voluntary, administrative or organised social activities of Little Athletics Australia or its affiliated Associations or Centre/Club

When should I send in a Personal Accident claim form?

A claim form should be completed and submitted as soon as you become aware that you will be making a claim. You do not have to wait until after you have completed treatment for your injury. Please note that any treatment rendered necessary by injury must be completed within 12 calendar months from the date of such injury occurring for expenses to be covered.

A claim form can be downloaded here.


Are external contractors covered?

No, external contractors should carry their own Public Liability insurance.

How can we prove that we have Public Liability Insurance?

If you are asked to provide proof of insurance by anyone (eg local council or a property owner) you will require a Certificate of Currency. Certificates of Currency are available from Little Athletics Australia or its affiliated State Associations. A Certificate of Currency is also located on this website.

Is the Association/Club/Centre covered for any fundraising events that we may have throughout the season?

Yes, Association and Centre/Club fundraising activities are automatically covered under the National Insurance Scheme. These activities may include but are not restricted to trivia nights, presentation nights, membership drive sausage sizzle at the local shops etc. However, some activities such as the use of jumping castles could be excluded under the policy. Please refer to V-Insurance Group for confirmation that the activity is covered.

What activities are covered under the Public and Products Liability policy

Administration, promotion, organisation and participation in Little Athletics activities including sanctioned training sessions and training camps, coaching, the rendering of first aid, provision of food and drink, publication of newsletters, sale of merchandise, property owners or property occupiers liability, social activities including awards presentations, fundraising, BBQ’s and other social gatherings.

Please note that some fundraising and extreme training techniques may not be covered by the definition of “Activities Covered” in this policy eg bungee jumping, car rallies, bull riding rodeos etc. Please contact V-Insurance Group on (02) 8599 8660 if you are unsure as to whether you require insurance cover for any other activities.

What are sanctioned activities?

Sanctioned activities are those activities that are approved by Little Athletics Australia or their affiliated State Associations or Centres/Clubs. Sanctioned activities include events that are organised by these groups. Training sessions are designated to be sanctioned if they are diarised, prior to the training session commencing.

What is Products Liability insurance? ‎

Product Liability insurance will cover you in the event that any goods that you supply cause injury, illness, loss or damage to a member of the public. This could include food prepared and sold at a fundraising day.

What is Professional Indemnity insurance?

Professional Indemnity insurance will cover you in the event that you are sued by a person who claims they were injured as a result of your professional negligence. This insurance mainly provides cover for registered coaches or officials who give advice when a member is training or competing in an event.

What is Public Liability insurance? 

Public Liability insurance is designed to protect you in the event that you are sued by a third party for injuries caused to them or any damage caused to their property. Public Liability insurance will cover the cost of compensation to the third party, should you be found negligent including any associated defence costs.

What should an Association/Centre/Club do before signing a Lease/Hire Agreement?

Thoroughly read any agreement before signing. A lease/hire agreement is a legal document and as such it would always be advantageous to have a suitably qualified legal expert review any hire/lease agreements.

In most cases lease/hire agreements will make reference for insurance or include an indemnity/hold harmless clause. It is our recommendation that you refer any agreements containing these clauses onto our office to ensure you are aware of any insurance implications.

Who is responsible for paying the excess on the Public and Products Liability, Personal Injury, Property Damage and Professional Indemnity claims?

The payment of the $1000 excess is the responsibility of the defending party and will not be paid by Little Athletics Australia unless otherwise agreed.