V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below a list of common insurance enquiries. The questions have been sorted under the following 3 headings:

  1. General
  2. Public and Products Liability/Professional Indemnity
  3. Personal Accident

If your enquiry is not listed below, please contact V-Insurance Group +61 (2) 8599 8660


What insurance products are insured under the National Insurance Scheme?

Public and Products Liability, Professional Indemnity, Personal Accident (Sports Injury) and Management Liability insurance.

What measures can State Associations take in order to minimise risks and reduce potential claims?

  • Ensure that all participants are registered members of Kiteboarding Australia or an affiliated State Association prior to commencing their activities
  • Keep an injury register/record of all injuries sustained in any Kiteboarding Australia related activity.

How do I get this insurance cover?

Coverage is provided automatically as part of your Kiteboarding Australia membership. For membership enquires please contact Kiteboarding Australia.

Is Building or Property insurance (i.e. fire and theft) provided under the National Insurance Scheme?

No, your premises and its contents, as well as your equipment are not covered under this program for any material damage or theft. If you would like a quotation for this type of insurance please contact V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660 or send us an email to [email protected]


What is Products Liability insurance?

Product Liability insurance will cover you in the event that any goods that you supply cause injury, illness, loss or damage to a member of the public. This could include food prepared.

How can we prove that we have Public Liability insurance?

If you are asked to provide proof of insurance by anyone (eg. local council or a property owner) you will require a Certificate of Currency. Certificates of Currency are available from Kiteboarding Australia.

What are sanctioned activities?

Sanctioned activities are those activities that are approved by Kiteboarding Australia or under their sanctioning policy. Sanctioned activities include events/competitions that are organised by the Kiteboarding Australia, training, official social functions, committee meetings, fundraising activities and travel to and from these activities.  Recreational kiteboarding and unpowered hydro foils are all included and covered on a 24/7 basis.

Are external contractors covered?

No, external contractors should carry their own public liability insurance.

What should you do before signing a hire/lease/rental agreement?

Thoroughly read any agreement before signing. A lease/hire agreement is a legal document and as such it would always be advantageous to have a suitably qualified legal expert review any hire/lease agreements.

In most cases lease/hire agreements will make reference for insurance or include an indemnity/hold harmless clause. It is our recommendation that you refer any agreements containing these clauses onto our office to ensure you are aware of any insurance implications.

Who is responsible for paying the excess on Public and Products Liability Property Damage and Professional Indemnity claims?

The payment of the excess is the responsibility of the defending party and will not be paid by Kiteboarding Australia unless otherwise agreed.


What is Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance?

Personal Accident insurance is a policy that covers you in the event that you are injured whilst participating or travelling to or from training or events that are sanctioned by Kiteboarding Australia including social functions, committee meetings and fundraising activities. Individuals (KA members) who participate in recreational kiteboarding, kite skiing, unpowered hydro foils and snow kiting are all included and covered on a 24/7 basis. The policy will pay out an income or a lump sum in the event of disability, paraplegia, quadriplegia or death, caused by an accident.

What does the Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance cover?

The Personal Accident policy covers items such as death, paraplegia, quadriplegia, non-Medicare medical expenses, student assistance, home help benefit, funeral benefit and modification benefit. You are covered for injuries even if the accident was your fault.

When does the cover apply?

Cover applies whilst training or participating in all Kiteboarding Australia sanctioned events and activities and whilst kiteboarding recreationally as an individual.

Do I need to have private health insurance if I am covered by the Personal Accident section of this program?

This is a personal decision. However, it must be remembered that the Personal Accident cover has limited benefits to keep the cost as low as possible.

What do I do if I am involved in an accident?

Advise the event organiser, your state association, your club or Kiteboarding Australia who will arrange for an incident report form to be completed.

Obtain a Personal Accident claim form from our website (click on How to Make a Claim and download a copy).  Complete the form and return it along with any supporting documentation to Kiteboarding Australia:

Email    [email protected]
Phone   +61 499 071 116             

If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact V-Insurance Group on +61 (2) 8599 8660.

Is the Medicare Gap claimable under the Personal Accident Policy?

No, the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 does not permit the Insurer to contribute to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap). This means that any charges for treatment from a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist or Surgeon’s Assistant are not covered. It also means charges for X-Ray, some MRI Scans (if Medicare registered) and Public Hospitals are not covered. In addition, there will be no refund in respect of:

  • Any expenses recoverable by You from any other insurance program or plan providing medical or similar coverage or from any other source except for the excess of the amount recoverable from such other policies/plans.
  • Any expense to which the National Health Act (Cth) 1953 or any of the regulations made there under apply.

What are the age limitations under the Personal Accident Cover?

Capital Benefits

Death Benefit: Insured Persons 18-75 years old$20,000
Insured Persons Under 18 and over 75 years $20,000
Permanent paraplegia, quadriplegia or incurable paralysis of all limbs (Insured Persons 5-75 years old) $20,000

Non Medicare Medical Expenses 
Insured Persons 2-100 years old

Weekly Accident Benefits 
Insured Persons 2-100 years old

What is the maximum benefit period for Loss of Income and Non Medicare Medical Claims?

52 weeks.

What is the Excess / Elimination Period under the Personal Accident Policy?

There is a $100 excess in respect to making a claim for non-Medicare medical treatment. If you are making a loss of income claim you are subject to a 7 day elimination period which also takes into account any accrued sick leave or other entitlements. This means that any loss of income during this period is not claimable.

Is the cost of ambulance transport covered under the program?

Yes, ambulance transport is a non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the Personal Accident section of the program (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Can I claim on my Private Health Insurance as well as the National Insurance Scheme for personal injury claims?

You must initially claim on your Private Health Insurance and then claim on the National Insurance Scheme for any non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your Private Health Insurance.

Can I make more than one claim during the year?

Yes, you can make more than one claim during the year. It is important however, that you obtain a clearance from your treating physician prior to returning to kiteboarding.

Example of a Medical Claim

Medical Expenses (Government legislation does not allow General insurers to cover any costs subject to a Medicare rebate)

Private practitioner visit (i.e. Doctor)Covered by Medicare * 
SurgeonCovered by Medicare * 
X-Ray/MRICovered by Medicare * 
AnaesthetistCovered by Medicare * 
Public Hospital AccommodationCovered by Medicare * 
Private Hospital accommodation2 days @ $400 = $800 
15 Physiotherapy visits @ $60 per visit$900 
100% of expenses claimable Sub Total$1,700 
 Nil excess$1,700
Total Claim Payment $1,700

*In most cases Medicare does not cover 100% of the medical providers costs. This is known as the “Medicare Gap”.  The Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 does not permit the insurer to contribute to any charges covered, or partially covered by Medicare. The Medicare Gap is also not covered by Kiteboarding Australia.