V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the period of insurance for the scheme?

4.00pm 30 June 2023 to: 4.00pm 30 June 2024     
Both Local Standard Time at the Insured’s head office

How do I get this insurance cover?

Coverage is provided automatically as part of your Dragon Boat club’s membership. For membership enquiries please contact your Association or local Club. Alternatively, you are covered if you are a coach performing sanctioned Association or Club coaching activities or registered with a Dragon Boat club, or volunteer for a Dragon Boat Club.

What measures can Associations & Clubs take in order to minimise risks and reduce potential claims?

  1. Ensure that all participants are registered members of the Australian Dragon Boat Federation or an affiliated Association or Club prior to commencing Dragon Boat activities.
  2. Actively encourage registered coaches to undertake accreditation courses.
  3. Keep an injury register/record of all injuries sustained in any Dragon Boat related activity.
  4. Ensure you have up to date Bylaws in place (including a member protection, grievance and disciplinary policies) and available to members.

How do I get this insurance cover?

Coverage is provided automatically as part of your Australian Dragon Boat Federation membership. For membership enquiries please contact your State Association or Club.

What Is Public Liability Insurance?

Public and Products Liability insurance is designed to protect you in the event that you are sued by a third party for injuries caused to them or any damage caused to their property. Public Liability insurance will cover the cost of compensation to the third party, should you be found negligent including any associated defence costs.

What is Products Liability insurance?

Product liability insurance will cover you in the event that any goods that you supply cause injury, illness, loss or damage to a member of the public. This could include food prepared and sold at a fundraising day.

What is Professional Liability insurance?

Professional Liability insurance will cover you in the event that you are sued by a person who claims they were injured as a result of your professional negligence. This insurance mainly provides cover for registered coaches who give advice when a member is training or competing in an event.

What is the excess on the Public and Products Liability and Professional Liability policies?

$1,000 each and every claim

Who is responsible for paying the excess on Public and Products Liability Property Damage and Professional Liability claims?

The payment of the excess is the responsibility of the defending party and will not be paid by Australian Dragon Boat Federation, unless otherwise agreed.

What activities are covered under the Public and Products Liability policy?

Administration, promotion, organisation of, participation in, officiating, the rendering of first aid, provision of food and drink, publication of newsletters, sale of merchandise, property owners or property occupiers liability, social activities including awards presentations, fundraising, working bees, BBQs and other social gatherings for activities and events.

Please note that some fundraising and extreme training techniques may not be covered by the definition of “Activities Covered” in this policy e.g. bungee jumping, car rallies, bull riding rodeos, jumping castles etc.

Please phone V-Insurance Group on ph: +61 (2) 8599 8660 if you are unsure as to whether you require insurance cover for any other activities.

What are Activities and/or Events?

Activities and Events are those sanctioned (approved) by Australian Dragon Boat Federation.

How can we prove that we have Public Liability Insurance?

You are able download your Public & Products Liability Certificate of Currency for the current policy period (which is often required by your local council to prove your Association or Club has liability insurance in place) on the Certificate of Currency page on this website.

Is the Association/Club covered for any fundraising events that we may have throughout the season?

Yes, Association and club fundraising activities are automatically covered under the Insurance Program. These activities may include but are not restricted to trivia nights, presentation nights, membership drive sausage sizzle at the local shops etc. However, some activities such as the use of jumping castles could be excluded under the policy.

Please refer to V-Insurance Group for confirmation that the activity is covered.

Are external contractors covered?

No, external contractors should carry their own public liability insurance, unless they are employees of Australian Dragon Boat Federation and it’s Affiliated Bodies, approved registered coaches or officials whilst working for or conducting sanctioned activities on behalf of Australian Dragon Boat Federation.

What should an Association/Club do before signing a Hire/Lease/Rental Agreement?

Thoroughly read any agreement before signing.

Some councils may ask you to sign an agreement which states that they will not be held liable in the event of injury arising as a result of use for training or events.

Please note that there is a policy exclusion on your Public Liability policy if you sign an agreement which contains such “Indemnity and Hold Harmless” clauses.

Should you find any Indemnity/Hold Harmless clauses in the agreement, please refer to V-Insurance Group by phoning +61 (2) 8599 8660 or [email protected] We will advise you on the correct wording to insert into the lease agreement.

What is Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance?

Personal Accident insurance is a policy that covers you in the event that you are injured whilst participating in or travelling to or from training or activities and/or events that are sanctioned by Australian Dragon Boat Federation. The policy will pay out an income or a lump sum in the event of disability, paraplegia, quadriplegia or death, caused by an accident.

What does the Personal Accident (Sports Injury) insurance cover?

The Personal Accident policy covers items such as death, paraplegia, quadriplegia, non-Medicare medical expenses, loss of income, funeral benefit, student assistance benefit, home help, parents inconvenience allowance, rehabilitation benefit, bed care benefit, dependent children allowance, home renovation benefit, in memoriam benefit, kidnapping benefit and membership benefit. You are covered for injuries even if the accident was your fault.

When does the cover apply?

Whilst participating in sanctioned Australian Dragon Boat Federation Inc. activities including all:

  • Official events
  • Racing, training and trialling
  • Official social events and fundraising activities
  • Travel to and from the above activities

Do I need to have private health insurance if I am covered by the Personal Accident section of this program?

This is a personal decision. However, it must be remembered that the Personal Accident cover has limited benefits to keep the cost as low as possible.

What constitutes organised training?

Organised training is training and practice sessions are those that are sanctions (approved) by the Australian Dragon Boat Federation.

What do I do if I am involved in an accident?

Advise your club who will arrange for an incident report form to be completed.

To submit a claim, complete a Personal Accident claim form and forward to Accident and Health International Claims department . Details available on the claim form and on the “How To Make A Claim” page of the Australian Dragon Boat Federation insurance website.

If you have any questions or require assistance, please phone V-Insurance Group on ph: +61 (2) 8599 8660.

When should I send in a Personal Accident claim form?

A claim form should be completed, signed by your State Association and submitted to ATC Insurance Solutions department as soon as you become aware that you will be making a claim. You do not have to wait until after you have completed treatment for your injury. Please note that any treatment rendered necessary by injury must be completed within 12 calendar months from the date of such injury occurring for expenses to be covered.

Is the Medicare Gap claimable under the Personal Accident Policy?

No, the Health Insurance Act (Cth) 1973 does not permit the Insurer to contribute to any charges covered by Medicare (including the Medicare Gap). This means that any charges for treatment from a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist or Surgeon’s Assistant are not covered. It also means charges for X-Ray, some MRI Scans (if Medicare registered) and Public Hospitals are not covered. In addition, there will be no refund in respect of:

  • Any expenses recoverable by You from any other insurance program or plan providing medical or similar coverage or from any other source except for the excess of the amount recoverable from such other policies/plans.
  • Any expense to which the National Health Act (Cth) 1953 or any of the regulations made there under apply.

What is the maximum benefit period for Loss of Income and Non Medicare Medical Claims?

52 weeks for Loss of Income claims and 52 weeks for Non Medicare Medical Claims.

What is the Excess/Elimination Period under the Personal Accident Policy?

There is a $50 excess in respect to making a claim for non-Medicare medical treatment (there is a nil excess if the member belongs to a private health fund.) This amount will be deducted from any reimbursements that you are entitled to. If you are making a loss of income claim you are subject to a 10 day elimination period which also takes into account any accrued sick leave or other entitlements. This means that any loss of income during this period is not claimable.

Is the cost of Ambulance Transport covered under the Program?

Yes, Ambulance transport is a non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the Personal Accident section of the Program (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Can I claim on my Private Health Insurance as well as the Insurance Scheme for personal injury claims?

You must initially claim on your Private Health Insurance and then claim on the Insurance Scheme for any non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your Private Health Insurance.

Can I make more than one claim during the year?

Yes, you can make more than one claim during the year. It is important however, that you obtain a clearance from your treating physician prior to returning to Dragon Boat activities.

Are Heads and Tails considered an accessory on the marine hull policy?

No, heads and tails are considered part of the hull and in the event of a claim, the excess applicable would be the hull excess.