V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Period of Insurance for the Insurance Scheme?

4.00pm 30 November 2023 to: 4.00pm 30 November 2024

Both Local Standard Time at the Insured’s head office

Where and when am I covered?

Cover under the Bike SA insurance policies apply when members are riding their bike on a 24/7 basis, including commuting to work, on a training ride or participating in a Bike SA affiliated race / event and travel to and from these activities anywhere in the world. Members are covered whilst riding e-scooters for Public Liability only, up to a limit of $5,000,000.

What insurance policies are automatically provided as a part of Bike SA membership?

The following insurance policies automatically form part of membership;

  • Public Liability / Professional Indemnity
  • Personal Accident

What is NOT covered?

  • Bicycles and associated equipment
  • Personal Property

Bike SA members are encouraged to arrange separate insurance policies to cover your bike and personal equipment

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public Liability Insurance pays for costs you are liable for in the event you cause bodily injury to someone or damage their property as a result of negligence whilst riding a bicycle.

Am I covered if I cause damage to a motor vehicle?

Yes. If the motor vehicle owner takes action against you claiming for reimbursement of the cost of repairs etc and you were at fault, cover under the Bike SA liability policy applies.

What is the Limit of Liability?

$20,000,000 for Public Liability claims
$1,000,000 for Professional Indemnity claims
$5,000,000 limit for Public Liability claims for e-scooters

What is Products Liability insurance? 

Product liability insurance will cover you in the event that any goods that you supply cause injury, illness, loss or damage to a member of the public. This could include food prepared and sold at a fundraising day.

Is there an excess for a Public Liability/Professional Indemnity claim?

Yes there is a $1,000 excess payable by the Bike SA member.

Am I covered whilst participating in a race?

Racing is not covered, other than when a Bike SA member is participating in an organised Bike SA cycling event.

Are non-Australian residents covered?

Yes providing you are a Bike SA member.

What is Personal Accident Insurance?

Personal Accident Insurance covers you for injuries you sustain while riding your bike on a 24/7 basis.

The most commonly claimed expenses under the Bike SA Personal Accident policy are;

Non Medicare Medical Expenses (85% of Non Medicare Medical Expenses up to $7,500) $100 excess applies, $nil excess if you have private health insurance

Loss of Income (85% of your income up to $750 per week). There is no benefit payable for the first 14 days you are away from work as a result of your injury. The benefit period is 52 weeks

Are there any medical expenses which are not covered?

Yes. There is a Government Legislation which prevents insurers from covering Medicare related costs including the Medicare Gap.

The most common “Non-Medicare” expenses include:

  • Private Hospital Bed & Theatre Fees
  • Ambulance
  • Physiotherapy
  • Dental
  • Chiropractic
  • Osteopathy

Medical expenses that are covered by Medicare (i.e. not covered by this sports injury policy) include:

  • Doctor’s Fees
  • Anaesthetist’s Fees
  • Surgeon’s Fees
  • X-rays

Am I covered in the event of death or other permanent injury?

Yes, the following lump sum payments are provided under the Bike SA Personal Accident policy;

  • Death (Members aged 18-65 years) $50,000
  • Death (Voluntary Workers aged 18-65 years) $100,000
  • Death (Members and Voluntary Workers aged under 18 and over 65 years) $20,000
  • Quadriplegia / Paraplegia $100,000
  • Capital Benefits $100,000

What is the age limit on the Bike SA Personal Accident Policy?

The policy covers members which are aged between 2 – 100 years of age.

Do I have to pay for my medical expenses first?

Yes, the Personal Accident policy is a reimbursement policy, you must pay for your medical expenses and seek the applicable reimbursement under the Personal Accident insurance policy.

Is the cost of Ambulance Transport covered under the Program?

Yes, Ambulance transport is a non-Medicare medical expense and as such covered under the Personal Accident section of the Program (up to the limits that you are entitled to).

Can I claim on my Private Health Insurance as well as the Insurance Scheme for personal injury claims?

You must initially claim on your Private Health Insurance and then claim on the Insurance Scheme for any non-Medicare medical costs that exceed the limits of your Private Health Insurance.

Can I make more than one claim during the year?

Yes, you can make more than one claim during the year. It is important however, that you obtain a clearance from your treating physician prior to returning to bicycle activities.