V Insurance

Call +61 (2) 8599 8660 or 1300 945 547

Frequently Asked Questions

Where and when am I covered?

Cover under the Bicycle NSW insurance policies apply when members are riding their bike (including three-wheel trikes and legal e-bikes/pedal –assist bikes) on a 24/7 basis, including commuting to work, on a training ride or participating in an organised cycling event (excluding a race), regardless of size, and travel to and from these activities.

The policy coverage arranged for Bicycle NSW is issued on a Worldwide cover basis.

All Bicycle NSW members are covered regardless of which state you reside in.

What insurance policies are automatically provided as a part of Bicycle NSW membership?

The following insurance policies automatically form part of membership;

  • Public Liability / Professional Indemnity
  • Personal Accident

What is NOT covered?

  • Bicycles and associated equipment
  • Personal Property

Bicycle NSW members are encouraged to arrange separate insurance policies to cover your bike and personal equipment

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public Liability Insurance pays for costs you are liable for in the event you cause bodily injury to someone or damage their property as a result of negligence whilst riding a bicycle

Am I covered if I cause damage to a motor vehicle?

Yes. If the motor vehicle owner takes action against you claiming for reimbursement of the cost of repairs etc and you were at fault, cover under the Bicycle NSW liability policy applies.

I carry a passenger on a purpose-built bicycle. Am I covered in the event they are injured and take legal action against me?

Yes. If an injured passenger takes action against you claiming compensation for the injury and you were at fault, cover under the Bicycle NSW liability policy applies.

What is the Limit of Liability?

$20,000,000 for Public Liability claims
$1,000,000 for Professional Indemnity claims

Is there a Public Liability / Professional Indemnity policy excess?

Excess is $1000 for property damage and personal injury for claims made by BNSW Members, registered BNSW event volunteers and officials.

Are non-Australian residents covered?

Yes providing you are a Bicycle NSW member

For non-Australian residents temporarily residing in Australia, we highly recommend you obtain separate insurance to cover the equivalent of Australia’s public Medicare system.

If you are visiting from overseas, you generally are not covered under Australia’s public Medicare system for medical or hospital expenses. Medicare related expenses including the Medicare Gap cannot be covered by the Bicycle NSW Personal Accident Insurance policy for Australian’s or non Australian’s due to Government Legislation.

For further information on the above, please visit http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/overseas/ovhc.htm

What is Personal Accident Insurance?

Personal Accident Insurance covers you for injuries you sustain while riding your bike on a 24/7 basis excluding a race.

The most commonly claimed expenses under the Bicycle NSW Personal Accident policy are;

  • Non Medicare Medical Expenses (85% of Non Medicare Medical Expenses up to $7,500)
    $50 excess applies, $nil excess if you have private health insurance
  • Loss of Income (85% of your income up to $1,000 per week)
    There is no benefit payable for the first 14 days you are away from work as a result of your injury. The benefit period is 52 week

Are there any medical expenses which are not covered?

Yes. There is a Government Legislation which prevents insurers from covering Medicare related costs including the Medicare Gap.

The most common “Non-Medicare” expenses include:

  • Private Hospital Bed & Theatre Fees
  • Ambulance
  • Physiotherapy
  • Dental
  • Chiropractic
  • Osteopathy

Medical expenses that are covered by Medicare (i.e. not covered by this sports injury policy) include:

  • Doctor’s Fees
  • Anaesthetist’s Fees
  • Surgeon’s Fees
  • X-rays

What is the age limit on the Bicycle NSW Personal Accident Policy?

The policy covers members which are aged between 2 – 100 years of age

Do I have to pay for my medical expenses first?

Yes, the Personal Accident policy is a reimbursement policy, you must pay for your medical expenses and seek the applicable reimbursement under the Personal Accident insurance policy

If I am a BNSW member and am a passenger on a purpose-built bicycle, am I covered if I am injured while being carried?  

Yes. As long as you are a member, the Bicycle NSW personal accident policy would cover you for injuries sustained whilst being carried as a passenger on a purpose-built bicycle.